Monday, July 18, 2011

"Conditions of Happiness"

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now.
So many conditions of happiness are available—
more than enough for you to be happy right now.
You don't have to run into the future in order to get more." 
 Thich Nhat Hanh
Lately I've been allowing myself to think things like...
"I'll be happier when the doctors find out how to fix my knee"
or
"I'll be happier when the head of Volunteer Resources at the hospital finally decide whether or not they will allow me to go through with my service project"

But NO MORE!

That kind of thinking isn't getting me anywhere...
I'm putting my foot down and making the choice today to give up those thoughts and savor all the
'conditions of happiness' I have available to me right now.

I KNOW we all have moments and thoughts similar to the ones I've shared with you ... take a minute and be honest with yourself.

Are you allowing yourself to live "happily in the here and now" or are you allowing your mind to "run into the future" to grab some more happiness?


If you are experiencing mind sprints toward the future ...
make the choice with me TODAY and destroy those thoughts.
 Find one of the many 'conditions of happiness' in YOUR life ... 
grab a hold, and don't let go!

I KNOW you can do it!

4 comments:

Alissa said...

I am happy today even though I am crampy, thanks to you! I love that sweater. Did mom tell you I tried it on and wanted it after you'd gone and they didn't have my size?

Tiffany Wacaser said...

At the end of last year, I took stock of my life and decided that my New Year's resolutions would all center on finding happiness in the life I am living. I then read the Happiness Project by Gretchin Rubin that was tremendously inspiring. I've learned a lot this year as I've worked on my happiness project. I've come to believe that we all have the capacity to feel happiness, whatever our circumstances. But it requires effort and a tremendous desire.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for your post today, Heath. I really needed it. I love you. You are so beautiful inside AND out!

Joanna said...

Even though my baby won't stop getting so stinkin big, I am so grateful and happy that he is in my life. His smile makes my heart do flips.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...