Monday, October 4, 2010

Race for the Cure…Cincinnati

The Komen Foundation held a Race for the Cure here in Cincinnati recently. I’ve run smaller races to raise money for Breast Cancer in the past, but this year I decided I wanted to run in the Komen Race for the Cure.

During last year’s race I was confined to a bed flat on my back with no hopes of running…or even taking more than a few steps for that matter.  I cried when my Sisters, Lindsay, Joanna and my Mom were all able to be a part of the event – in various cities – while I couldn’t.

Well, not this year! I might be out of shape and still in desperate need of gaining back my muscles I lost in the battle for baby Evan, but I was not going to let that hold me back.

My Aunt Pam has been battling breast cancer and will continue to battle each day to live with the new body and life the disease has left her with. She is an inspiration to me. She is courageous, patient, loving and kind. She is positive and funny, beautiful and wise. She is living in pain everyday and yet she continues on smiling…that is my Aunt Pam! I am so lucky to be able to call her my Aunt!

raceforthecure3

I ran in celebration of Pam and wore the shirt my Mom and I designed and made to prove it. My Mom, Dad and Sister, Alissa were able to celebrate too! raceforthecure4

Evan and Andrew had to come along because Doug was gone on a campout with the scouts. The plan was for them to enjoy the party while I ran and then meet up at the finish line, but when I ran through the finish line they were nowhere to be found. Later I realize that the plans changed and Popi and my sweet 4 year old Andrew walked the race too! They walked every one of those miles together…Wow! What a trooper. I’m still amazed!

Andrew Sept.2010

Don’t forget Baby Evan…he enjoyed every mile in luxury – pointing out all the exciting sights I’m sure! 

Evan Sept2010    It was a race full of big hills, but I made it to the top of everyone of them with thoughts of Aunt Pam. I cried at least once during every mile to see the survivors and their families celebrating together, and those trek through each mile for loved ones who have lost their battle with the disease.

At one point I felt my ugly cry surface as I came upon a beautiful runner who very confidently sported a bald head with only tiny splotches of hair left to call her own. It was obvious she used to be a great runner and she ran with grace and what strength she could muster. She was an inspiration to me and it was a privilege to run at her side…if only for a little while. I will never forget that moment.

Aunt Pam, we love you! I wish I could give you a big hug and maybe make you some popcorn with M&M’s…one of my favorite ‘Aunt Pam’ treats!

3 comments:

Kevin and DeNiel said...

A beautiful description of a beautiful day. I am proud to be your mom. You are awesome!

Kristy said...

A story of love...life is good.

Elizabeth J. said...

Way to go Husted gals! What a great thing to do together and a good example to set for your children. Much love to Pam!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...