Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mexican Lasagna

Okay, I found this recipe in a little magazine in my grandma's California bathroom, yup...it's true. Then I took it home and altered it to my liking and here is the outcome. It's perfect for a Sunday dinner, or a dinner with friends. It makes scrumptous leftovers...and I'm NOT a leftover kinda gal! I hope you all try it and enjoy...let me know what you think!!!

Mexican-style Lasagna

Bunch of scallions, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
10 ounces fresh baby spinach
corn tortillas
1 lb. lean ground beef
taco seasoning
2 cans (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 large jar salsa (I use black bean and corn salsa...yummm)
1 jar of mild picante sauce
cheese.... pepper jack or mozzerella

1. Preheat oven to 425. Dice scallions and baby spinach into tiny pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix in a large bowl.
2.Cook beef in saucepan until brown and season with taco seasoning. Add pinto beans and mix well.
3.Coat 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Lay 6 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly) Layer with half of beans and meat mixture, salsa/picante sauce, spinach mixture, and cheese (be generous); repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and pressing in gently.
4. Cover dish with foil; bake 25-30 minutes; remove foil and continue baking until golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

*** For an even yummier version, cover and let stand for 3 or 4 hours before putting in the oven

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...