Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Un-slumping yourself is not easily done"....

I haven't been feeling myself lately.
I've been in a funk, a rut, a slump...where the world around me turns a little grey, my purpose and importance in this world become blurry, and there isn't any big, horrible or profound thing from which to find the cause.

I hate feeling this way. 
It doesn't happen often, but it still happens.
This week one of my little men picked out a book for me to read at nap time which spoke directly to how I've been feeling lately.

Here are a couple excerpts...

"...You'll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.
You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed. 
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don't.
Because, sometimes, you won't.
I'm sorry to say so but, sadly it's true,
that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you.

You can get all hung up in a pricke-ly perch.
And your gang will fly on. 
You'll be left in a Lurch.

You'll come down from the Lurch with an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then, that you'll be in a Slump.
And when you're in a Slump, you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.

...I'm afraid that some times you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.
...But on you will go though the weather be foul.
On you will go though your enemies prowl.
On and on you will hike.
And I know you'll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.

...So be sure when you step, step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

...And will you succeed? 
Yes! You will, indeed!

Kid, you'll move mountains!

...Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"
- Dr. Seuss

As I read this to my son, my eyes overflowed as I realized that it's ME I was reading about.

YES...I was feeling as though unslumping myself couldn't be done easily.
I felt as though I had been playing a game I had no chance of winning because I was playing against myself.

But not anymore.
I've picked myself up and I'm going to keep hiking.

Thank you, Dr.Seuss and thank you my sweet green boy for helping me clear the fog and see my mountain again.

We are all on different paths in life and we are all hiking at a different rate, but one thing is certain....we all find ourselves in a slump from time to time.
Don't sit down and lose the game...get up, and keep hiking.

You are capable of far more than you will ever know!
Now, go get on your way!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...