Friday, April 9, 2010

My barefoot day…

A little view into a day in the life of my feet -
IMG_3858IMG_3855IMG_3844IMG_3863IMG_3864IMG_3875My white, boney feet took me everywhere today and I love them.
At the end of the day, they were black, muddy and very tired.
I couldn’t make the barefoot walk in Cincinnati, but I spent the day taking care of kids, babies, running errands, etc.
A pretty normal day except completely abnormal…
shoeless.
On the way home from my sister’s house I had to stop at the store and get medicine for my baby E.
you know the store signs…no shirt, no shoes, no service?

Well, they didn’t want to let me in the store to get medicine for my baby…yep, that’s right.
It made me think.

What if I only had enough money to either buy myself shoes OR buy my baby medicine? What would I do?
Hands down – I would buy the medicine – even if that meant I did it barefoot.
Don’t worry, I got what we needed, but not without some problems.

I love shoes, but I loved my day without them. It’s hard to be barefoot and I sure wish no one in the world had to be…I’m so glad I had chance to learn more today – teach more today – and find a reason to be more grateful for the blessings I have.

2 comments:

Kevin and DeNiel said...

I love you, Heather! You are amazing!
---Mom

Anonymous said...

The midwest and north are so much more uptight about going barefoot. East and west coast, and in the south, you can still see some people shopping barefoot and very few businesses care. I have been barefoot to literally thousands of stores and can count on one hand the amount of times I got a reaction like you did. And by the way, during the late 60s and early 70s, going barefoot everywhere, including shopping, was quite a fad for young people. And since it was the hippies that influenced them, many store owners did not want hippies to come in, so that is when anti-barefoot signs first began appearing. But they were hard to enforce in many places, as owners got tired of spending the whole day kicking out potential customers. There actually are no regulations against going barefoot into either stores or restaurants in the US, those are the policies of the business owners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...