Monday, March 1, 2010

Atrophy

It’s cold outside, but I’ve been itching to move. Itching to sweat. It’s been too long. I put on my warm running clothes and grabbed the dog to venture out for my first run in around 8+ months. I took it slow. I didn’t push myself too hard. I was pleasantly surprised by my performance but I still know I have a long way to go before my body and muscles will be as strong as they once were a year ago.

I don’t think anyone can fully understand how it feels to have every muscle in your body atrophy until it actually happens. I don’t think I even really knew what it meant until I experienced it.

I’ve already been through this recovery from the bed rest battle for my baby once, but I guess I forgot exactly how it felt to start moving again and have every single muscle in your body hurt all at the same time…every. single. one. Bed rest and strong muscles cannot coexist so I will be nursing my soggy muscles for a while. I will be strong again…I will.

I’m just very grateful I have muscles!
and can use them to move around!
I’m grateful I can hold my boys without anyone getting mad at me.
I’m also grateful I can walk up the stairs, make dinner or vacuum my house without getting in trouble! :)

1 comment:

scooping it up said...

sing it sister. i know ALL about the atrophy. it's an ugly thing.

so glad you are moving. i can't wait to get there...

you are my hero. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...