Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Cozy Holiday Wreath

Welcome to December!
It's officially here.

I'm working on decorating my house and finishing up as many Christmas preparations as I can, so I will be able to enjoy the Holidays instead of running around like crazy desperately trying to finish everything up at the last minute.

In the midst of my preparations, I designed a little something I wanted to share with you today that will be 'warming' up my home this year.
All it requires is a few cheap supplies, a little time, and beginner skills with a needle and thread.
(my sewing machine is broken at the moment, so all projects must be done sans machine)


What I used:
Thrift store wreath form $1.00
Thrift store over-sized red sweater .50 cents
a needle and thread
 My sweater had a ribbed band at the bottom that I cut off.
It measured 19 inches x 6.5 inches. I used this as my first layer.

I had a little extra that I trimmed off.
(the size fabric you need all depends on the size wreath you are making.)
 I laid the wreath form on top of the band of sweater material,
 then I folded one side over the other and used a quick (and rather large) whip-stitch to hold the edges together.
For help with a whip-stitch watch THIS video.
 I continued all the way around...
 And ended up with this.
I made this my first layer because I wanted the finished wreath to be a little thicker with the sweater material.
 I cut a strip of sweater slightly wider than the first strip to compensate for the fabric already sewn onto the wreath form.
Then, I wrapped it around and finished it off with a whip-stitch just as I did with the first ribbed layer.

If you are using a wreath form that is already thicker, than you won't need a second layer.
 Then I cut one more strip of ribbed sweater material
(from the collar of my over-sized sweater)
and in the same fashion as THIS tutorial, I made a big bow.

The only difference is that I hand-stitched the pieces together and didn't do a top stitch.
Then, I just hand-stitched the bow to the covered wreath.

There you have it.
A nice, new, cozy wreath to welcome all the cold Holiday nights to come.
 

8 comments:

Kevin and DeNiel said...

Beautiful!

Kristy said...

So festive and pretty...and it just makes you feel warm in body and spirit.

Jessica Jo said...

I want to snuggle with it.
What happened to your banner? The other was better. Sorry, I'm honest. It was more fun. It was what drew me to this site to start with.

Rachel said...

that is seriously cute.

Dominoe said...

I love it! Cozy describes it so perfectly.

cherished bliss said...

OMG! I love this so much! Great jon : ) Thanks for linking up to Craft and Tell!

cherished bliss said...

I am featuring this on my blog tonight! Feel free to stop by and grab a button! : )

Nikki Monet said...

This is gorgeous! I love the two different knits! New follower here. Would love for you to share it at my linky party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/12/bedazzle-me-monday-12.html

Happy Holidays!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...